SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions about processor boards have here!
By Thermalguy
I purchased a MicroMod Single Pair Ethernet kit and had it up and running with the Example01a_BasicSendReceive in the Artemus processor and Example01b_BasicEcho in the ESP processor. I have added a breakout board(which I created) that plugs into the carrier board in the processor socket so I can wire in my new processor. I have written some simple driver code to talk to the ADIN1110 and everything seems to be working OK when reading and writing to the chip. I have used some of the optional pullup resistors to select operating parameters(unmanaged mode) as this will be connected to a very basic processor. I have connected to the ESP32 processor running the Basic Echo program in hopes I can see the data I send. I see the LED_0 on the receiver blink when I send a frame, but the terminal window does not show the data. I believe I have all the correct MAC addreses etc. in the frame but apparently the Echo program is looking for that I am not sending. My frame consists of the 2 byte header, the destination MAC, the sender MAC, and 53 ASCII bytes for a total of 65 bytes. I am using Generic SPI with no CRC.
From the datasheet:
"Burst writes and reads must be in multiples of 4 bytes. The last
word (4 bytes) written can contain between 1 byte and 4 bytes of
valid data. However, TX_FSIZE is still written with the original frame
size + 2 bytes for the frame header (see Figure 20). For example,
to transmit a 65-byte frame that is prepended with a 2-byte header,
67 is written to TX_FSIZE, but 68 bytes are transferred over SDI.
The last byte is not used."

I do exactly as the datasheet says. I am hoping someone has some insight into what the Basic Echo program is looking for before I start to digging into the Sparkfun driver. I was planning on using the Sparkfun board board as a development tool. Any ideas on what the program is looking for would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
ThermalGuy :D
By Thermalguy
I spent some more time reading the datasheet and found there is a framechecker which can be directed to monitor the data coming from the MAC to the PHY. Once I set that up, I found that my packet had a CRC error. Since I am using the ADIN1110 in the unmanaged mode, you have to enable the MAC to generate a CRC since it is ASSUMED the host would supply it. I missed that one. Now I am seeing my transmission packets on the Sparkfun board. :D Now on to getting power over the wires.
ThermalGuy :D
By Duane Kaufman
Hello,
I too am looking at coupling the ADIN-series chip to an ESP32. Would it be possible to share your design information/code?

Sincerely,
Duane Kaufman
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum