SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions about carrier boards have here!
  • Micromod single slot main board
  • Micromod ESP32 Processor
  • Micromod Ethernet
If i have only the ESP32 hooked up to the main board I am able to to upload a simple sketch (LED blink) and communicate with the processor via serial. (notwithstanding the hideous bug here: viewtopic.php?f=182&t=55461&p=239992#p239992)

However if I add then power down, and insert the Ethernet function board and power back up (via a PC's USB) the sketch no longer runs (LED not blinking), and on a serial monitor I see this:
Code: Select all
rst:0x10 (RTCWDT_RTC_RESET),boot:0x33 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
invalid header: 0xffffffff
ets Jul 29 2019 12:21:46
This sequence repeats

If I remove the Ethernet board the ESP32 seems to work fine again.

Without the Ethernet board the main board's lights are all lit except for "CHG". When the Ethernet board is connected The lights on the main board are the same. The PWR light on the Ethernet board is also lit.

In none of the above is any Ethernet cable attached.

If I do use connect the Ethernet board to a PoE source, the PoE light is lit. The main board's 3V3 and QWC are lit. VIN is not lit. The sketch does not run. If I then plug in a USB cable: VIN lights, and on the serial monitor I see the same message sequence

Since this is the most basic test I can think of I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Thank you.
First, ensure the standard esp32 library is installed https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/mi ... rogramming

Then, ensure you have altered the arduino sketch being loaded to match the esp32 micromod pin#s https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/mi ... no-example

And try powering over PoE again - any change (does VIN on main board light up)?
Hi Russel,

The board is selected in the board manager correctly, see attached images. I have used other ESP32 boards in this way without trouble. The basic sketches (LED blink, or plain serial.println every 500 ms) upload and run fine as long as the Ethernet board is not attached. I confirm with PoE powering the board only the Vin light is NOT lit.
arduino_board-libs.png
micromod-settings.png
The sketch I am using does not use the Ethernet board's functionality in any way, nor does it include any Ethernet libraries so I can't see how the pins are yet relevant. The only pin I've used is the LED pin. I also tried the same sketch without using the LED pin (serial writing only), same result.

Sketch:
Code: Select all
int ledPin = 2;

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
    pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
    Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
    Serial.println("Running...");
    digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
    delay(500);
    digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
    delay(500);
}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum