SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

What are we doing right with Artemis? What are we doing wrong? Let us know here!
By vesich
Can the OpenLog Artemis connect with a Quiic button LED? Do I need a separate battery for it? Also do I need to upload my own code to it and how or is just the uploaded code to the OLA enough to detect and control the button?
By PaulZC
Hello,

I'm trying to remember the exact history on this. If I recall correctly:

I did add code to support the Qwiic Button but it never worked successfully. The Qwiic Button is based on an ATTiny processor and uses I2C "clock stretching" when communicating on the I2C bus. The clock stretching confused the Artemis core causing the Button to appear as multiple devices. Or rather the core wasn't able to 'tolerate' the clock stretching. I wasn't able to find a solution. Sorry!

If you already have the OLA and Qwiic Button, you're welcome to try it. If you open the main serial menu and select the hidden "d" debug menu, you can enable extra debug messages which will show which devices have been detected - and the 'ghosts' caused by the clock stretching issue.

I hope this helps,
Paul
By vesich
Hi, thank you for the reply. I have them both. So as I understand, I need to hook them together and open a termina. While running the ola firmware use "d" to see messages. Is that correct?

I also have custom code on my OLA, is there a repository from where I can get the extra code or just should search within the code from the OLA github?
By vesich
I tried it at home today and I see these logs at the end when the logging stops and the OLA kind of disconnects (means I can no longer use the console input).

Where is the code for the Qwiic button you are mentioning @PaulZC?

Here is what I get in the log:
Code: Select all
Autodetect complete
waitForQwiicBusPowerDelay: qwiicPowerHasBeenOnFor 15660ms
beginQwiicDevices: attempting to begin deviceType Particle-SNGCJA5 at address 0x33 using mux address 0x0 and port number 0
beginQwiicDevices: device is online
beginQwiicDevices: attempting to begin deviceType ADC-ADS1015 at address 0x48 using mux address 0x0 and port number 0
beginQwiicDevices: attempting to begin deviceType ADC-ADS1015 at address 0x49 using mux address 0x0 and port number 0
beginQwiicDevices: attempting to begin deviceType ADC-ADS1015 at address 0x4A using mux address 0x0 and port number 0
beginQwiicDevices: attempting to begin deviceType ADC-ADS1015 at address 0x4B using mux address 0x0 and port number 0
beginQwiicDevices: attempting to begin deviceType Qwiic_Button at address 0x6F using mux address 0x0 and port number 0
beginQwiicDevices: attempting to begin deviceType Pressure-MS5837 at address 0x76 using mux address 0x0 and port number 0
setMaxI2CSpeed: setting qwiic clock speed to 100000Hz
Particle-SNGCJA5 online at address 0x33
ADC-ADS1015 online at address 0x48
ADC-ADS1015 online at address 0x49
ADC-ADS1015 online at address 0x4A
ADC-ADS1015 online at address 0x4B
Qwiic_Button online at address 0x6F
Pressure-MS5837 online at address 0x76
Device count: 7
By PaulZC
The code for the Qwiic Button is already included in the OLA firmware. I included it many months ago. But it causes problems. The clock-stretching issue causes it to create 'ghost' sensors. In your case, the code thinks it has detected SNGCJA5, ADS1015 and MS5837 sensors - in addition to the actual Qwiic Button.

If you want to write your own OLA firmware, you can include the Qwic Button Library from here:

https://github.com/sparkfun/SparkFun_Qw ... no_Library

but you will find the same issue. The Qwiic Button and Artemis are not compatible. I do not have a solution... Sorry!
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum