SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

What are we doing right with Artemis? What are we doing wrong? Let us know here!
By flwillis
I have new Artemis OpenLogger with latest 2.4 firmware. The unit works fine, but after about 3 hours, it simply stops loggging to the SD Card, which is not nearly full. I am logging from the gps and temperature recorder that came with the kit and logging at the fastest rate, which with GPS and temp logger is about 4 Hz.

I removed a lot of data from the midsection of the log file to make it small enough to send. It looks like the logger logged about an hour and 6 minutes worth of data and quit. The two bright LEDs and the quickly flashing little green LED we blinking as normal , but it stopped logging to SD card. The first time I tried it, the logger logged only about 3 minutes and stopped logging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By PaulZC
Hi @flwillis,

Can you please take a look at the contacts on the bottom of the microSD card? Do they look clean and shiny? If they look tarnished at all, please give them a gentle clean with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). Apply a small amount of alcohol to a clean cloth and then rub the contacts for a few seconds to clean off the tarnish.

Thank you,
Paul
By flwillis
Thanks. I did that and am trying it with another new micro SD card as well. I am recording data now.

SUGGESTION: There needs to be some type of LED or something that lets me know that SD card logging is failing. If it would send some type of signal to one of the ports, I could use a lOT to send me a signal. I plan to deploy this device in remote areas making various recordings of environmental conditions.

Perhaps I should be using a lOT board with cell chip instead of on-site logging. Can you suggest something that does that, preferably with Quiik connectors at least for prototyping.? That data I am collecting is important an occurs only about once or twice a year for about 48 hours, but I don't know exactly when it will occur--so I have to be armed, ready and reliably collecting data.

THANKS
By flwillis
I think I figured out the problem. Two things:

1. The Micro SD Card that came with the unit appears to be defective, even after I cleaned it with alcohol.

2. Even with a new Micro SD Card by SanDisk, the unit will stop logging when the battery begins to get low, say within about 2 hours of being completely dead.

Obvious other cause may be intermittently malfunctioning Artemis Openlogger. I guess time will tell.
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum