SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

What are we doing right with Artemis? What are we doing wrong? Let us know here!
By edringel
This will probably get promptly shot down, but here goes--

I'd like to suggest an Artemis based board designed to maximize low power features. I'm using the Artemis Nano in a remote sensor that is turned on and off by a low power timer. Once I am done with development, I will be cutting traces, and removing SMD resistors and LEDs to minimize current draw. I think one of the draws of the Artemis is its super low power potential, and a board designed to maximize that facet of use might rouse some interest. The design changes are simple (I think) and would be great for a project sitting off in the woods running on battery for months at a time--

Rather than a design paradigm assuming that the device is mostly on and occasionally needs to be turned off, consider a design that assumes that the device is mostly off and is turned on periodically to do something and then gets turned off. Would pair nicely with Adafruit TPL5111 (NOT the TPL5110, which is slightly different.) Or you guys could cobble together your own ;)
1) Do not use a pullup resistor for the regulator's enable pin. Every time the enable pin is brought low by tying it to ground, there is current through the 10K resistor which over time adds up. Use either a high resistance pulldown resistor or leave it to the user.
2) All LEDs have a trace that can be cut so that they no longer are active. Once design work is done, cutting the traces would reduce current by milliamps.
3) No microphone.
4) Hobbyist level library to shut off unneeded peripherals. Something nice and Arduino IDE friendly
Thanks for considering this.
Ed
By PaulZC
Hi edringel,

They're all good suggestions. No shoot-down necessary! ;)

We did _most_ of that on OpenLog Artemis...

To capture this properly, I'd suggest opening a "Feature Request" issue on the hardware GitHub repo for the Nano.

Thanks for the feedback - we really appreciate it,
Paul
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum