SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips, tricks, & best best practices using Artemis with your board designs.
By aleonti
Apologies if this has been covered somewhere, but I have read through all the documentation multiple times and have not found it. I am trying to calculate the battery size I will need to run a wildlife tag that uses the Artemis as a data logger for two oxygen sensors. I have only been able to find power draw of the data logger when it's in deep sleep mode. I realize this might be dependent on what it is running, the sensors each have a power draw of 10 mA. I'd appreciate any information anyone might be able to provide.
By PaulZC
Hi,

Are the oxygen sensors the two UART serial sensors you mention in your other post?

The current draw will depend on how you have the system connected, how often it wakes, how long it stays awake. To get the real value, you will need to measure it. You could use the 3.3V pin on the Qwiic connector to power your sensor. That pin can be turned off while the OLA is asleep.

The OLA supports serial logging on one UART pin. I would recommend using a second OLA to log the second sensor. I don't think the CY7C65213 can help here? Multiplexing the data from the two sensors is possible, but not easy. You would probably need another microcontroller board and program it to prefix the data from the two sensors with some kind of identifier, before retransmitting it to the OLA?

I hope this helps,
Paul
By aleonti
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the help, I figured I would need to switch to two separate boards, but was hoping it would be possible to log both together.

As for the current draw, I am talking about the two UART serial sensors. Everything would be on for the duration of the tag deployment, so around 72 hours. I was planning on using the JST connector to connect a Li-ion battery, but I can easily use the Qwiic connector instead. I am just looking for a general idea of the power use of the board when it is on and logging so I can calculate the battery size I need to keep the thing running for the whole deployment period.
By PaulZC
Hi,

The best idea is to measure it. It could be influenced by (e.g.) your choice of microSD card and how often you write data to the card - some draw more current than others...

I hope this helps,
Paul
 Topic permissions

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum